I’m a single mom trying to further my education after leaving an abusive marriage #SalemCollege #PleaseHelp
Story of Self
I was born in Mexico City, Mexico but grew up in North Carolina. Here I met and married my high school sweetheart. He was extremely charming back then and I wish I could say he still is.
…..However our relationship went from mesmerizing to volatile and very abusive. He would remind me every day of how I was “a piece of shit” and “absolutely worhtless” to him. All this coming from someone I loved with all my heart, the father of my son, and the one man I would give my life for.
When we separated, he used my undocumented status to try to win full custody of my son. I was literally terrified of losing my son and not being able to wake up with him, smile, and make him breakfast. I was terrified I’d lose all my rights as a mother only because of not having legal permission to be in this country (which I had no idea I would be raised in).
Then one day, while we were exchanging custody I gave my son a cupcake to take home with his dad. Instantly, my ex took the cupcake from my son and started eating it while my son cried and screamed for it back!! Unable to bare my son’s cries I yelled at him “Hey fat ass, give my son his cupcake back!!” At this point, I was sick and tired of him always taking what he wanted, whenever the hell he wanted! And I knew I was done being afraid!! I was done letting him have control over my life and my son!! I pressed charges and filed a protective order making the decision to face him and his family in court. I was ready to fight back for my son!!
My name is Valeria Cobos, I am undocumented, unafraid, and ready for college!!!!
Since leaving my ex-husband, I have also decided to continue my college education to provide a better future for my son. I want to beat the statistics associated with being a single Latina mother and undocumented not to mention. I want to pave the road for other young Latina mothers who have gone through similar situations as myself.
My goal is to study Business Administration at Salem College and then pursue a dual MBA/JD degree from the Wake Forest Schools of Law and Business. With my degrees I know I will be able to represent other oppressed victims of domestic violence in court and also provide financial guidance so they too can get back on their feet.
The annual tuition at Salem College for an undergraduate off-campus student is $23,478.00. This boils down to $11,739.00 per semester excluding books.
Tuition 1st Semester + Fees - Scholarships = $4,806.50
I have been able to save enough money to cover the cost of my books ~$500 but need help paying the rest. School starts on Aug 28th and I need to close the gap of $4,806.50 to finish paying for my first semester at Salem.
* Fees include the following: Technology Fee, Enrollment Fee, SGA fee & Health Insurance ($1,067.50)
** Scholarships total $8,000 from the college itself and a local private foundation.
If I am unable to raise all the money I will not be attending Salem this Fall semester :( All money raised will be deposited to my student account until I raise the entire amount needed.
Other Ways You Can Help
- Donate $3.00
- To successfully raise my tuition, I need 1,602 people to donate $3.00 each Please SHARE, SHARE, SHARE my campaign :D!
- Ways to share this —> Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, etc!
- You can also mail a check directly to Salem College:
Attn: Financial Aid Office
Valeria Cobos, Student ID# 277930 (very important)
601 S. Church Street, Winston-Salem, North Carolina, 27101 USA
- shannator likes this
- racismschoolstorage reblogged this from racismschool
- racismschoolstorage likes this
- gilbogarbage reblogged this from asugarprince
- whiskeycoated-cigaretteburns reblogged this from tranqualizer
- getreadyforthetsunami reblogged this from racismschool
- shawtygotskillz reblogged this from autohistoriamestiza
- countonlybluecars reblogged this from madamethursday
- kogiopsis reblogged this from nowherezone11
- earl-ly reblogged this from racismschool
- resmc reblogged this from tranqualizer
- resmc likes this
- ylwols likes this
- tranqualizer reblogged this from tranqualizer
- commiphora reblogged this from mariavontraphouse
- christenmeow reblogged this from broodingdaisies
- broodingdaisies reblogged this from tranqualizer
- broodingdaisies likes this
- iyjl reblogged this from bornthisbrown
- flowerkitten likes this
- dandelionchild reblogged this from tranqualizer
- whats-inside-her-never-dies likes this
- xingonaconvoz reblogged this from tranqualizer
- bornthisbrown reblogged this from tranqualizer
- bornthisbrown likes this
- madamethursday reblogged this from tranqualizer
- the-watcher-on-the-walls reblogged this from racismschool
- gamingtimeladyfromgallifrey reblogged this from strugglingtobeheard
- youaintmybabydoll reblogged this from karnythia and added:
- tomwingfields reblogged this from francesetherealgumm
- melyxxa reblogged this from manicpixiedreambakla
- manicpixiedreambakla reblogged this from biyuti
- karaokay reblogged this from na-m8
- wadinginastrawberryocean reblogged this from racismschool
- ekom-aka-makoma reblogged this from biyuti
- hardhatpartycat reblogged this from biyuti
- superhusbandslove reblogged this from manicpixiedreambakla
- na-m8 reblogged this from manicpixiedreambakla
- astraliminal reblogged this from evawrites
- fxxkyourdiamondsgivemebeads reblogged this from tranqualizer
- maggiemeister likes this
- lgbtadvocate reblogged this from tranqualizer
- queerlytentacular reblogged this from francesetherealgumm
- queerlytentacular likes this
- francesetherealgumm reblogged this from tranqualizer
- raakkel reblogged this from applebutterbomb
- queerlips-queerveins reblogged this from tranqualizer and added:
- johnnyvulpine likes this